Page Nav

Friday 4 September 2015

Tenant is Reunited with her Daughter After 11 Years Apart

After last week's exciting announcement of one of our service users, Sara, being reunited with her daughter, Hasene, after 11 years, we thought it would be nice to have a chat with them both about their experience with ACH.
SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES
Where are you from?
Ethiopia. I arrived in the UK in 2004. I was living in Ethiopia with a friend. I moved to Sudan to find work but didn’t manage to get anything.
When did you arrive in the UK?
2004. I have been living in shared housing since.
How did you find out about ACH?
I found out about Ashley at Midland Heart's Access point. I was referred to Ashley from there.
How has ACH supported you?
With the Jobcentre, ensuring my benefits, finding a GP, registering to College, liaising with solicitors, speaking to the council, sorting out my Child benefits and tax, ensuring that provisions are made for permanent housing. As well as all this, ACH have helped me be reunited with my daughter, Hasene.
Why were you and your daughter separated?
I was separated from my daughter because I was a single parent back home, and was unable to provide enough money to look after my daughter. I was forced to look for work in Sudan, so Hasene had to go and live with her aunty. I was able to send small and frequent wages to my sister. In 2004 I moved to the UK. I was able to stay in contact with Hasene over the phone and through Skype.
What does Hasene think of England?
Hasene does like England, but she misses some of Ethiopia and her Aunty. Hasene is happy to be here with me but is eager to make British friends and learn in the UK. Hasene loves the Birmingham Bullring and enjoys exploring her new city.
How is life now you are reunited?
I feel so happy, and a lot of weight has been lifted off my shoulders. All that stress and worry has been building up, but now that I have my daughter by my side, I feel complete.
What are their plans for the future?
I would like to continue studying to improve my English, and Hasene loves drawing and painting. Hasene wants to become a fashion designer and hopefully bring her Ethiopian/Sudanese influence to clothing! That is her aim!
How would you describe your experience with ACH?
It’s very nice. I found my support worker, Sam, was happy to help. Hasene always looks forward to coming to the office. She wakes up early and reminds me of my appointment with my support worker.
What did you find most helpful about ACH and your support worker Sam?
Everything! I didn’t know Birmingham and now I have settled well. I can always approach Sam about something I am unsure of and I know she has my best interest at heart.
Is there anything else you would like to add?
No, just thank you!
They are now living together as a family, and have moved on to temporary housing with Birmingham City Council and are awaiting permanent accommodation, all with the help of Ashley Community Housing!
Read more about our family reunion service here.

No comments:

Post a Comment